This year’s summer game festival has started successfully. While no one is quite sure how Geoff Keighley’s gameplay showcase will play out with E3 right around the corner, the starting stream is completely stacked. It started off strong with the reveal of the Borderlands spin-off Tiny Tina’s Wonderland and finish with the biggest game: Elden Ring.
The two-hour stream (plus the Developers Day event that follows) is filled with surprise announcements, celebrity interviews, and musical performances. This will be a tough move for E3 to follow, but it will hopefully set the stage for an exciting weekend of revelations. Here are all the major news from the first day of Summer Game Fest 2021.
Elden Ring has a release date and trailer
The biggest shock is Elden Ring, ending the show after years of memes. We got a glimpse of a The new trailer gave us a close look at its fantasy setting and gameplay. Even more shocking is that the game has a release date: January 21, 2022. That’s much earlier than some had expected, making it a memorable moment for Summer Game Fest. Hopefully we’ll see a little more at Namco’s E3 rollout on Monday, June 15.
Tiny Tina’s Wonderland is a new spin-off of Borderlands
We’ve heard rumors about it leading up to E3, but it’s official now. Borderlands is getting a fantasy game called Tiny Tina’s Wonderland. The film has an all-star voice cast including Andy Samberg, Wanda Sykes, Ashly Burch, etc. The game is scheduled for release in early 2022.
Death Stranding was cut PS5 director
Hideo Kojima appeared on the screen to create a surprise. Death Stranding is getting a Director cut on PS5. A pre-game trailer features some cheeky callbacks to Kojima’s Metal Gear Solid franchise.
Vampire: The Masquerade has a multiplayer spin-off
While we patiently wait for an update on Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 which has been delayed indefinitely, the series is getting a multiplayer side game. Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodhunt will launch this year, and fans can sign up for the closed beta right now.
Metal Slug Tactics is a new installment of an old classic
The classic Metal Slug shoot-em-up is getting a surprising new installment. Metal Slug Tactics is a Fire Emblem-style strategy game featuring characters fighting on a grid. Dotemu, the team behind last year’s standout Rage Street 4, is working on the game.
Indie feeling Between us are getting a lot of new content. A A road map for the game was shared during the show, revealing that new roles and modes are coming. The biggest addition is the Hide and Find mode, although details on what that entails are not shared.
Jurassic Park Evolution 2 coming soon
Jeff Goldblum became a celebrity guest on the show to reveal Jurassic Evolution Park 2. The surprise sequel to the dinosaur park building game will be released sometime this year.
The sequel to Call of Duty: Warzone has been revealed
Evil Dead: The Game has a gameplay trailer
We finally have a closer look at Evil Dead: Games. A gameplay trailer showcased the multiplayer title’s gameplay, which looked as bloody as one would expect from the zombie franchise.
Tons of indies shown at Day of the Devs
A lot of indie games were shown in one Exciting day of the Devs line. The biggest game shown in the stream is Axiom Verge 2. Developer Thomas Happ has shared new details about Metroidvania and confirmed it’s coming to PS4 and PS5. Other highlights include Soup, Wandering Villageand the title stops moving Vokabulantis.
- Indie games Black has a September 23 release date.
- A NieR: Automata skin is coming Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout.
- Smite are getting a Strange things cross events.
- Fast and Furious content coming soon Rocket League.
- MMO Lost beer keg will come to the West this fall.
- Salt and Sanctuary next part Salt and Sacrifice will be released in 2022.
- Two-point basis will be released in 2022.
- Anacrisis is a new co-op shooter developed by Stray Bombay.
- Prime Label is a new publisher and developing a new Painkiller game.
- Tales of Arise there is a new game trailer.
- Sky: Children of Light coming to Switch this July.
- Two new Overwatch 2 Character skins debut.
- Planet Lana is a new indie background with hand drawn art style.
- Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin There’s a new intro.
- We watched a gameplay trailer for Endless Dungeon.
- A new one Back to 4 health Enemy type debuted for the first time.