If you like to play games on your mobile device, then iOS is the right place. Between the long list of great iPhone games and the best Apple Arcade games, there’s plenty to keep you entertained. While many titles are specially designed for touch screens, others are difficult to touch and swipe your way – but the good news is that you can connect game controllers to your iPhone or iPad. I’m pretty easy.
Apple added this option in iOS 13, just in time to launch its subscription game service, Apple Arcade. If you are playing something like that Fortnite or Oceanhorn 2 on the iPad, the controllers really make things easier. You can add a PS4 DualShock 4 controller or an Xbox One controller with surprising ease. Alternatively, in addition to adding them to your iPhone and iPad, you can also add them to your iPod Touch or Apple TV.
How to connect the PS4 controller
Here are the steps to connect your PS4 Dualshock controller to your iPad or other iOS device:
- Get your PS4 controller. Press and hold PS button and Share button together for a few seconds until the light on the controller quickly flashes white – this means it is in pairing mode.
- Open Settings> Bluetooth on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and make sure that Bluetooth turned on. If you are pairing with an Apple TV, go to Settings> Remote controls and Devices> Bluetooth.
- Search DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller in the list of devices. Click on it to pair.
Congratulations, you’re now ready to start gaming with your PS4 controller. Since the downloaded games are specifically developed for tablets and smartphones, they are based on certain touch controls. This means you have to adjust your game settings in order to sync and connect the controller.
To disconnect your controller, you need to navigate to Settings and then Bluetooth on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. When you are here, touch I next to the controller, then select Disconnect. If you’re looking to completely unpair your controller completely, just select Forget this device.
How to connect an Xbox controller
Below, we’ve listed some helpful guides to show you how to pair your Xbox controller with an iPad or other iOs device. It’s worth mentioning that the Xbox controller requires Bluetooth for this particular method to work properly.
first. Get your Xbox controller. Press the button Xbox button, then press and hold Connect button stay on top for a few seconds to put it in pairing mode.
2. Now, you can open Settings> Bluetooth on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch and make sure it’s turned on Bluetooth. If you are pairing with an Apple TV, go to Settings> Remote controls and Devices> Bluetooth.
3. Search Xbox wireless controller in the list of devices and touch the device to pair.
To disconnect the Xbox controller from your iOS device, navigate to Setting and Bluetooth on the device you are using (tablet or smartphone). You can prevent connections by searching for the controller in the list of available Bluetooth devices and selecting I.
How to connect a third party controller
The following guide will help you if you want to connect and disconnect your external controller from your iOS device. Remember that many Bluetooth game controllers are specifically designed for Apple devices.
first. Check the manufacturer’s instructions to learn how to activate Bluetooth pairing mode on your controller.
2. On your Apple device, go to your settings, select Bluetooth and turn it on. When using an Apple TV, go to settings for the remote and device and select Bluetooth.
3. When the controller pops up on the device list, select it to double.
In other words, you can disconnect your controller by tapping Settings, then Bluetooth on your iPhone, iPad, iPad Touch (or another iOS device) and pressing. I will appear next to your controller in a list on the screen.
Recommended editorial board