Even though he’s not a Word Seller Resident Evil 4, the Duke has become a fan favorite character in Resident Evil Village. Ethan can buy new weapons and upgrade his current ones while exploring The Duke’s shop. However, he can also have the Duke cook some meals for him using ingredients collected throughout the game. Cooking in Resident Evil Village is essential to beating the game on Village of Shadows difficulty. This guide will focus on how to cook in Resident Evil Village and where to find ingredients for The Duke’s recipes.
Cooking for what?
Cooking is a mechanic only found in Resident Evil Village. That’s how Ethan will upgrade himself rather than his weapons. Cooking and consuming Duke’s Recipes will increase Ethan’s total health, reduce damage taken when blocking, and increase his overall movement speed. There are three health increase recipes, two damage reduction formulas, and one movement speed formula.
As Ethan travels through the village and surrounding areas, he will stumble across wild animals and livestock ripe for murder. He will find fish swimming in the pond, chickens and pigs roaming outside their coop, and black goats roaming the village. Thankfully, these animal locations are marked on Ethan’s map and will be removed once he has obtained all the meat available in that area.
With the ingredients at hand, Ethan must return to The Duke and turn over the meat needed to create the desired dish. However, if it’s your first playthrough, you won’t unlock the cooking ability until you exit Castle Dimitrescu and find the house with the red chimney.
Here, the Duke will mark treasure locations on your map, along with where Ethan can farm ingredients.
The Duke is a pretty good cook. He will enjoy the best French food Ethan has in his life. There’s no way to pin or track recipes outside of The Duke’s kitchen. So below, we have listed every recipe the Duke has to offer along with its requirements and incentives.
- Herbed fish: 3 fish and 2 poultry – permanent slight increase in health.
- Bird and Beast Pilaf: 4 poultry and 1 meat – damage taken while guarding is permanently reduced.
- Three flavors of Mititei: 4 fish, 2 poultry and 3 meat – permanently increased health.
- Tochitura de Pui: 4 birds, 3 meat and 1 game Juicy – health increases permanently a lot.
- Ciorba de Porc: 1 Fish, 5 Meat and 1 Quality Meat – damage taken while guarding is permanently reduced.
- Sarmale de Peste: 6 fish and 1 best fish – movement speed permanently increased.
Components are scattered through each area of Resident Evil Village. Keep an eye out, especially after the Duke has marked areas on your map. These are all component positions in Resident Evil Village for those who want to run all the recipes fast. Keep in mind that Ethan will need to progress the game to a certain point for some of these components. Others are easily missed and cannot be obtained once they have passed a certain point in the game.
Ingredients take up space in your inventory, so it’s important to bring them back to The Duke and make them a meal as soon as possible.
If this is your first time playing, use a knife to kill these animals to preserve ammo. If not, dismount with your infinite ammo Dragoon (if you bought it from the Bounty shop).
- Ethan will find three fish as soon as he exits Dimitrescu Castle. Head down to the cave to find a small body of water. If this is your first time playing, use the knife to save ammo.
- Speaking of Castle Dimitrescu, come back Gate Maiden and Demon to find three more fish swimming in a pond to the left of the drawbridge.
- Once you’ve sailed for the first time, you’ll be prompted to enter a small shack. Don’t. Instead, head right and up a path to find a small puddle. Inside will be some catfish with Ethan’s name on them. This can be easily overlooked.
- Once Moreau is dead, head back to the top of the area, to the fisherman’s house where you first left with the boat. You will have access to a new area where you will find more Catfish. Keep an eye out for Catfish. They tend to hide below the surface and are difficult to spot.
- Use the Iron Insignia Key to open a locked gate behind the Church in the village. You will find a pair of chickens here.
- From the Cathedral, go back to Luiza’s house but hug the right side. You will see a path open with a pair of chickens.
- From there, go to the house with the red chimney to find three more chickens. Either way, you need to move in this direction to progress the story.
- In Moreau’s area, you can find two more chickens next to the first windmill. However, this is only after you have rotated it to gain access to the smash controls.
- In West Old Town, you can find a unique pig in the first house on the right. It’s probably the first house you enter after arriving in the village. Be careful; the pig will charge you.
- On the way back to the tomb of Benneviento, you will find a black goat on the road after getting the broken stone fragment.
- As soon as you enter Moreau’s area, you’ll see two squealing pigs near his Maze puzzle. They cannot miss.
- Once Moreau is defeated, return to the village to find two black goats hanging out in the graveyard near the entrance to Dimitrescu Castle.
Otto’s Mill is an optional area in Resident Evil Village and the best source for meat in the game. On your way to confront Heisenburg, you will come to a fork in the road. Go left to find Otto’s Mills. Cross the river and break the lock on the door to find a pair of pigs.
Inside Otto’s Mill is a giant ax-wielding mini-boss that will punish Ethan if he can’t kill it quickly. He will summon Samcas (flying bat-like enemies). There are plenty of exploding crates that Ethan can use to damage the Giant, but the early stages make it difficult for him.
However, if you are quick, you can shoot the lock on the door he is guarding and find the spoils of Otto’s Mill without killing the boss.
When you go through the door, you will find three pieces of meat along with fish and poultry. You’ll also find Father Nicola’s Angel, a very valuable item that can be sold to the Duke.
While the locations above only offer what we’ll call “ordinary” ingredients, there are three unique ingredients that you’ll have to find hard to find. It’s delicious game, quality meat and best fish. They are essential for three of the best recipes. Their description provides some clues as to what Ethan is looking for.
- Delicious game chơi: “… The juicy meat of a rare bird found only in this region.”
Meat quality: “… High-quality meat from a creature found only in this region.”
The best fish: “……rare fish species only found in this area.”
So, where are they? For those who are just starting out, they Not marked on your map.
Juicy game location
Head into the village and look up at a tree between the mausoleum (where you find the Beneviento slab) and the entrance to Dimitrescu Castle. There is a blue bird perched on a tree. Take aim with your sniper to kill the bird. If you’ve played The Mercenaries, you know how annoying these birds can be.
Quality meat location
After unlocking the Duke’s Kitchen, return to Luiza’s house and find Elena and Leonardo’s small cabin. On your map is clearly marked, so you will be able to use it for reference. Jump through the window to find a white pig. Kill it for quality meat.
Best fish location
You won’t be able to find the Best Fish until you beat Moreau and get the crank. Return to the main area in the Village where the Duke is. Go up Lone Road and turn right to find a drawbridge. Lower the bridge with the crank and board the boat. Turn around and follow the river south to the end. Arrival and turn left at the fork ahead of you. You will find a pond with the best fish and two ordinary fish. Finest fish are yellow in color and are easy to distinguish from other fish.
Now that you have the rarest ingredients in the game, you can craft the three best recipes for maximum reductions in health, speed, and damage.
Yes, meals prepared in one playthrough will carry over to the next as long as you are playing the same file. Creating these receivers is a must to beat the campaign on Village of Shadows difficulty, as they will balance out the enemy’s enhanced damage.